Monday, January 18, 2010

I have been nursing a baby flying squirrel for 3 weeks, that my cat brought home,?

I nursed it with formula from a syringe, I read everything I could and did my best. It was growing really well, and my whole family got very attached to it. Sat. morning it was very sick, breathing with mouth open, walkiing weird, anyway I found a ';wildlife rehabber'; who I spoke to on the phone and we met , I thinking that she was just going to give it a life saving injection of ';ringers';.But she said she needed to take it home and take care of it. NOW after calling a finding out how its doing, she seems to have taken quite a fancy to it. I just know that she is not going to give it back to me. If it cannot be released back to the wild , which would clearly be the best thing, and will be kept for a ';pet';, it should be mine. I told her I wanted it back, but I have no recourse. Its in her possession and just hearing her little kid in the back wanting to play with it, I know that she is probably planning on keeping it. I am sick about it. I literally rescued it from death.I have been nursing a baby flying squirrel for 3 weeks, that my cat brought home,?
In most States, it is illegal for anyone to raise wildlife that is not licensed or permitted via the State Game Warden. Wildlife belongs to the State, not private citizens and not rehabbers. The rehabber did the right thing by taking the animal. However, I hope she is not allowing her child to ';play'; with the animals in her care. I would have to say that most rehabbers are ';taken'; by the animals they rehab...we do love them, but to really LOVE them is to raise them to be released back to the wild. Keeping the animal if it is not releasable is NOT an option. If the animal cannot be released back to the wild, it is either euthanized or used for education...depending on the animal. Wild animals DO NOT make good pets!!





You said that your cat brought it home to you. If you email me privately, I will send you a 3 page list of illnesses and parasites that you allow your cat to be exposed to each time you allow it outside to wonder. Then the cat puts you and your children at high risk to catch these diseases or parasites. Cats belong inside, not outside to wonder. Most people say its natural for a cat to be outside...NO IT ISN'T if it is a pet!!I have been nursing a baby flying squirrel for 3 weeks, that my cat brought home,?
Just plan out ask her what she is planning to do when the little squirrel gets better. Tell her you would like to have it back and that you will be willing to pay for her services. Money talks bull... walks. If you know what I mean. Good Luck, as it should be yours.
Remember that you did a wonderful thing in saving that squirrel, and good deeds don't go unnoticed.......You will be repaid tenfold the bible says........Thank you for doing what you did.......
Depending on the state you live in, it may also be illegal to keep a wild animal as a pet. The lady may have to do something more for the squirrel to be able to release it, or she may have to find a sanctuary for it. Why not just ask what the situation is?
Well if your cat is potentially a danger then it maybe whats best. But maybe the lady is reasonable. Did you ask her what her intentions are?
If the lady claims to be a ';wildlife rehabber'; then she should have rules and guidelines that she should abide by. I would directly ask her what she is planning to do with the squirrel, and exactly what their state guidelines are. Then go from there. But the important thing is that you saved this animal's life, and you did the right thing by getting professional help for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment