Saturday, January 23, 2010

I found a flying squirrel... what do I do?

I found a flying squirrel in our garage this moring. I am very worried though, because we have a cat and our neighbors have to dogs. It wouldn't be so bad, because I put the cat in our laundry room, but it's an open garage and there is no way to close it. What should I do, for I fear the poor thing is scared out of its wits. Right now it is sleeping and from what I can tell, it's a baby.


Should I try to take it off the wall and carry it to the woods behind our house? If not, what should I do?! Please help!I found a flying squirrel... what do I do?
First thing to do is figure out for sure if it is an adult or a baby. Or if it's injured.


If it's a healthy adult, it will leave on it's own come evening. If it's a baby, or injured, you'll need to get it to a Wildlife Rehabilitator. If you can walk up to it without it running away, it needs assistance.


If you think it needs care, you can trap it within a pillow case, tied tightly so that it can not escape. Use heavy gloves if attempting to handle it, they have very sharp teeth.


Call your local DEC, vet, or humane society for a list of Rehabbers in your are.


Good luck.I found a flying squirrel... what do I do?
I would turn him over to a local vet clinic or animal rescue. They can make sure he is properly nourished (if he's a baby and the mom's not around, he needs an alternative way to eat). Use Google to see if you can find one in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment