Monday, January 18, 2010

I've heard there is a flying squirrel in the South. Have any of you ever seen one?

Glaucomys volans, the Southern flying squirrel. It's listed in Larousse' Encyclopedia of Animals, 1967 McGraw Hill, p527. I've seen many animals in my hikes and wanderings, and I've heard stories about many, but I don't hear anyone tell about this creature. Of course, I could google this, but I'm interested in hearing directly from the Yahoo community members. And maybe you will post a question on an animal about which YOU are interested.I've heard there is a flying squirrel in the South. Have any of you ever seen one?
Yes I've seen a flying squirrel. They are nocturnal ,if you go hiking or camping at night in east Texas you might see one.I've heard there is a flying squirrel in the South. Have any of you ever seen one?
we had 3 baby ones they all died though
I had one as a pet. They really dont fly but glide from tree to tree. Under their arms is thin skin. My son would stand at one end of the room and I at the other and the squirrel would glide back and forth from us.
they are only called flying squirls. that is because they have a thin layer of skin between their front feet and hind legs. when they jump from a tree they use that to glide. it is funny.
yes they are very common in my area, they glide using a webb type skin from their legs to their body from tree to tree... very small light agile creatures they are.
The reason they're not seen often during the day is because they are nocturnal, so they're active only at night.
ya i saw it on tv animal planet they fly from tree to tree and are a little different from city squirrels
yes. They just jump from tree to tree.
Practically squirels never fly...........


actually those squirrels flattned their body in such way that aerodynamically they slower downs the speed to fall on land.





actually this is not fly..... becoz its not controlled flight..


they just glide in air....


even few species of snakes also glide in such way.
They are hard to observe even where they are abundant because they are Nocturnal!!! I know they live in my area because several families of loggers end up fostering them when thier nesting tree gets cut down, However I have never seen one in the wild and I doubt I ever will until I get a night vision camera or goggles. What I am wondering is why do books on north american mammals all say that Mountain lions are not found in Northeastern Ontario, Canada when almost everyone I know has seen them including me!? Whats up with that??? and also saying that certain birds arent in our range when they are all of the time!!?

No comments:

Post a Comment