Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I need help with flying squirrels?

can anyone help me?


i want a pet flying squirrel and i don't know where to get one and how to feed or what to feed it.


where can you get one and how can yu get it fixed? i want a girl.








can some one who has a pet flying squirrel please tell me and help me out?


or if you know allot about them?





please help i really want one!!!I need help with flying squirrels?
First off, get your facts right. You CANNOT buy an individual flying squirrel, they will die of loneliness. The person who said they are illegal to own is incorrect, because guess what I have two of my own! OK, these are NOT SUGAR GLIDERS! I have two sugar gliders also, and yes I give them all my attention 6 hours a day. You need to understand the work these are. They can run you $600 startup cost (mine was $800) which includes the price of your squirrels. You need to pay about $50 in fresh fruit, vitamins, and more. These are not dogs, they are not cats, therefore you need to pay bout 4 hours attention a day (oh yeah, they are nocturnal so you need to stay up from about 11p.m. to 2a.m. each night) . No joke. And don't give me the , ';i want a girl'; crap. You should be happy for any gender. You can get the males fixed, but it is about $200 surgery each one. These are expenisive animals. Also, the always wonderful vet bills can run you into the thousands each year. Here is some links----





Diet-


http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/diet.html





Care--


http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Flying-Sq鈥?/a>





READY FOR THEM?


http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/


all you need to knowI need help with flying squirrels?
Flying squirrels are illegal to have as pets without a captive wildlife permit.





I believe you are talking about a sugar glider.





Sugar gliders usually run around $300-500 each, at least in my area, and do better in pairs. I have not heard of anyone getting their glider fixed, it would probably be very difficult since they are small, and marsupials. You cannot breed sugar gliders legally in the US without a federal breeders permit (at least as of 2 years ago), so no breeder should sell you a male and female pair. However, the rule isn't enforced well, and a lot of backyard people are breeding sugar gliders illegally. Any legal breeder you go to should be able to show you their permit.





Most sugar gliders you find will be male, I have only seen 1 female and 15 or so males as pets.





As for places to get them? Larger exotic pet stores sell them, or look up sugar glider and your state, and you should be able to find a breeder.





They are nocturnal, so you do not want the cage in your room- they will sleep all day and wake up at night. They are quite active and love jumping around, which makes a lot of noise. They require a sugar glider dry diet, mixed with fruits, veggies, insects, and nectar/juices.
here is a website in my source on quite a bit of info on. put do remember that are are wild animals and be careful but good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment