Friday, May 14, 2010

Do southern flying squirrels make good relatively easy pets?

I used to have a typical squirrel as a pet, originally I rescued him from my backyard after being covered in blood from a cat. I successfully nursed him back to health and he was the best pet I've ever had. Following me around the house, very sociable, and loving. Although I had special permission to legally keep him as a pet, when he got older, I let him live the normal life of a squirrel. Someone told me about this species called a southern flying squirrel, and I'm curious what there like, but I wanted to hear it from people who have raised them previously. thank youDo southern flying squirrels make good relatively easy pets?
Well, depends on what you think is easy.





You should join the Southern Flying Squirrel forums, which are here and a few other places:





http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/i鈥?/a>





They need a large cage, one you can bring outside and hose down every month (they cling to the side a pee). It doesn't squirt out it just goes on the bars.





They get into small holes so prepare to have your subwoofer and speakers infiltrated. They have to be bought as babies, and bonded with, and even then you aren't guaranteed a sociable squirrel.





They do need to be neutered (about $160) and finding a vet that will do this is not fun. That is only if you want to have boys and girls together.





They can be very nice to people, but like I said, some aren't. I had three, and two were very non-friendly and did not like attention. They were all from the same breeder. I raised them all from the same age. The first one was awesome and went everywhere with me in my shirt, and loved everyone. The others, not so much. Kind of nervous.





It's kind of a guessing game as to if you will get one that is nice...but if you do, they are fun. They need time out to explore every night, and a safe house to do so in. No mirrors or glass - they will fly into it. You also have to teach them where to land on you (no faces! That hurts!)





All in all, they live 15 years in captivity if you give them the proper diet. They need a calcium/phosphorus supplement in the right ratio, ask on the forums. They are good little pets, but require you to cater to them as far as diet and excerise (and houseproofing) goes.





I was never bit by any of my squirrels. Never. The only time I was pinched was by Bear when I pushed him to go into a tree. He didn't want to, and he told me by pretending to bite me (pinching) and saying ';eep!'; which is squirrel talk for ';No way!!!';Do southern flying squirrels make good relatively easy pets?
Squirrels, are not domesticated animals,


Thus. They are not pets.


Its really nice you saved a Squirrel. but they belong free in the wild. Its where they belong, and where they are happy at.


Squirrels shouldn't be kept in cages, or inside the house.





No matter what kind of Squirrel, Its not right to keep them.
i used to have one they bite a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment