Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I need help with a 4 week old FLYING SQUIRREL!?

I have found a 4-5 week old flying squirrel. It is a male, and his eyes just opened. I have had him for 2 weeks now. I am having a hard time finding any information on how to care for him! I need to know what to feed him, how often (he eats every 2-3 hours now but wants to eat ALL the time!), what vitamin supplements he might need, and anything else that might help me. I had a pet Grey squirrel for 15 years and a Fox squirrel for 2 years but I think the flying squirrel needs to be handled differently, right? Does anyone have any place to get good information on them? Maybe a website, or a place to get a book on them? I just want to be sure he is getting everything he needs. Thank you!I need help with a 4 week old FLYING SQUIRREL!?
Wildlife rehabbers would be able to help you. Flying squirrels are insect eaters so they benefit from things like crickets and meal worms.





Here's a great site with diet info.


http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/diet.html





Here's a rehab site on raising orphaned ones (diets cover the very young babies all the way up to full grown)


http://www.awrc.org/Flying%20Squirrels.h鈥?/a>





You'll want this one too--the National Flying Squirrel Association. It has diet info there as well.


http://www.nfsa.us/care-and-feeding/diet





They make VERY good pets. Current research found that the gypsy moth spraying cities are doing is killing flying squirrels, as the squirrels were depending on that insect as a large staple in their diet.I need help with a 4 week old FLYING SQUIRREL!?
I would call up a wildlife rehabilitator, they would know.

No comments:

Post a Comment